Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Baby New Year

I don't think the baby new year should (technically) be wearing socks, but hey, it's my baby new year.
Poor guy ended up at the hospital at the clinic at 9:30 this morning. I just didn't feel good about his vomiting for the 3rd time in less than 10 hours plus the bad cough and wanted to make sure it wasn't dropping into his lungs. He's still suffering with an upper respiratory infection, drippy nose, cough, sore throat, ears, etc. The cough is of most concern (wanted to make sure he isn't getting RSV). Tests came back negative (relief) - but he's still not feeling well and he's not eating or drinking. His weight is down to 19 lbs. 7 oz. which is lower than on the 16th of the month. Dr. thinks he'll catch up and not to worry...but he's not even taking in 12 oz. a day!!! Anyway, I guess we're wrapping up the year the way it began - with a visit to the doctor and stressed out parents.

On the flip side, Gerard is now on all the growth charts (not adjusted for prematurity) and is doing very well. His language is still lagging, but I'll fret about that in March if I don't see improvement - after all, he's really 1 year old adjusted for prematurity on March 8.

Happy New Year, everybody! Thanks to all of you who have watched, read, prayed for us and shared in our crazy life in 2008. Thanks especially to all of you who helped to get us to the healing point in our journey. Family, doctors, nurses, social workers, respiratory therapists, rad techs, lab workers, co-workers, clergy, psychotherapists, neurologists, audiologists, neighbors and friends...you all helped us to make it through. It was quite the year, but we made it with your help! It sounds corny, but it really does take a villiage, (and a lot of forgiveness of those people who were and still remain grossly insensitive).
We have lots of fun and interesting things planned for 2009 already. I plan to start running again (I'd like to do the 1/2 marathon here in Ogden in May). If I don't run (that is, if my body rejects it) - I'll take a dance class. I keep dreaming that I'm a Latin competitor again! I plan to take my first business trip away from home since Gerard was born in February (in Nashville, of all places). Hey, it's not Antarctica like my friend did, but it's something. Michael plans to do some AF training near a FL beach in July, so Gerard will get to see his mom's favorite beach at a young age. Lookout Redneck Riviera! Also, I haven't decided if I'll keep this blog here for Gerard or if I might do something different in 2009. I've been feeling the need to start writing again (or doing something creative), and I'm not sure I'll have time to maintain the blog in addition to that work. I guess I'll wait to hear from my audience. Bonne Annee!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The pix are adorable and that video of Lil G laughing is precious.

I don't think you're any under obligation to continue the blog further; one year is enough. You might consider maintaining the site just for photos/ videos, especially for your family who don't get to see him otherwise. (It might be more efficient than e-mailing them pix?)

Vikki