Thursday, April 24, 2008

April 24 - 4 Month Mark







Gerard is four months old today. Developmentally, he's acting like about a 2 month old. He's been off of oxygen for two weeks. Still hooked up to the monitor just in case. I'm ready to lose the monitor since I don't think we need it anymore. Michael thinks we still need it... Gerard recognizes our faces and voices and tracks us. He can make some primitive sounds and tries to put his hand in his mouth. He's very good at scratching his face and I have to cover his hands with socks a lot. He loves his mobile and is learning to watch his crib toy at night. He absolutely does not enjoy tummy time! (see photo) In fact, he screams pretty much through it. He really enjoys all types of music, but from what I gather doesn't like talk radio. He just started smiling at me a couple of days ago and I caught some smiles today. he's inconsistent with his smiles, although it's usually after eating. He's not a morning person - and usually wakes up screaming. Cranky waker like his mom. Weight is going up slowly. He's still in the "newborn" size clothing, but I guess that will end very soon. He aspires to be a size "0" just like all the Hollywooders. I tried to put some pants on him the other day but his middle is too little. Ah...one day he'll probably love for that to happen again.
As for me, today I'm starting to feel the effects of some new medication. All I can say is thank goodness for drugs! PPD (post partum depression) is horrible, and I've been barely functioning. Actually, Gerard's doctor wanted to talk about me instead of Gerard last Friday for his four month checkup since she could tell I was having a hard time. She recommended I contact my family doctor and get something. After struggling for several weeks and reading lots of other mom blogs, I finally asked for some medical help last week, after getting some horrible treatment from my doctor's front office. Some crazy operator was telling me that I couldn't just talk to my doctor - that I had to make an appointment. When I asked if I could be on the waiting list for cancellations on Monday, she said, "We don't have time for that." Say what? My NP saved the day on Friday and again on Monday by helping me in a more than timely manner. My body was rejecting all food that entered it for four days. ...And I love my food! I hope by next week I'm feeling more energetic and functioning better. I need to get my act together! I've been sinking.

I took a ridiculous amount of pictures of Gerard today in hopes of getting one that captured his personality. I didn't quite get what I wanted, but some of them are really cute. Enjoy! And yes, I know a lot are sideways. I don't have the energy to do the work today.

No comments: