Thursday, April 03, 2008

April 3 - Sleep Study




Gerard Weight - 9 lbs. 7 oz. - 21" Long - Head - 15"
Last night we did a sleep study to see if little G Man can get off the oxygen. I think he did OK - setting off the monitor a few times, but understandably when he was irritated (hungry) or false alarming because of a low signal. We'll see...

The county nurse came by and gave me the weight and length numbers you see posted today. It was an OK visit. Basically, she said he's a 4 week old, and not to worry about development at this point. He is tracking, staring at objects and using his neck muscles more. We discovered that he loves sleeping on his belly (which is not recommended). With the canula in his nose, I see no harm in letting him indulge. It helps with the startle reflex to put him on his belly.

Yesterday was a good day for me. I got out a little while and got some fresh air, had a little company and enjoyed the day. I noticed some interesting things during my time out of the house. I had to go to campus for an appointment. When I got out of my car, I noticed the car next to me had a few mason jars in the back seat. Upon closer look, it was alfalfa. Yes, dried alfalfa. What's it used for? Hmmm...I laughed, and also noticed a resume on the seat. Not wanting to be too terribly nosy, I read the first few lines and saw it was a sophomore who also plays in the symphony. What's a symphony playing, alfalfa eating sophomore doing with alfalfa? Anyway, it made me chuckle. Walking into the building another observation was a girl sitting in a lounge chair with a grocery bag filled with ice on her foot. She was talking on a cell phone, but bare feet on a cold day covered in ice was way too ironic. Hmmm...what an odd couple of observations. I could go on about the geese crossing the road (or rather stopping traffic at the duck pond) and the cars blocking me when I tried to leave because one of the cars' batteries was obviously toast, but I won't. I had a mocha soy decaf latte and enjoyed it on the way home.

Gerard's smiling more in his sleep and when he's eating. The nurse says it won't be long before he gives us a real smile. I can hardly wait. I'm ready for some action!

No comments: