Monday, March 10, 2008

March 10 - The Weekend Update and Nurse Visit

Gerard Weight - 7 lbs. 13 oz.

Today the home health nurse visited and checked the little guy out. He's still gaining weight - hooray! As usual, we had lots of questions for her. Nurse said he looks great and we're doing fine. She gave me advice regarding his feedings and things I might be able to do to hang in there. I'll give my struggling a couple of more days until we see the doctor on Wednesday and decide next steps. The NICU stuff is catching up with my milk supply. She thinks I've done great to hang in there as long as I have. I don't want to give up, but I'm starting to lose hope on that one.

The past weekend was a little rough. Saturday during "tummy time" Gerard got a horrible nose bleed and scared us to death. You just don't expect a baby to have a gush of blood running out of his nose! After our panic, I held him up, cleaned the canula and called the doctor. He was doing so much better with his breathing and we couldn't understand why this would happen. The canula is causing problems...again. Drying his nose out and irritating him. So...the doctor ordered that a bubble box (humidity) be added to the oxygen. Of course, we were wondering why that didn't happen before now, but we're getting used to that response. He's doing better, but still bleeds occasionally. I just don't freak out now when it happens - I get it taken care of. Michael lets me do the honors of suctioning out his nose, adding drops, cleaning the canula and adding gel to the base, changing the sheets, etc. Such high maintenance!

The good news is that yesterday we lowered his oxygen to 1/16 and he's holding steady in the mid 90's. That's a big step. He still sets the alarms off when he eats, but I'm getting used to it.
My boys...

Cute stuff - I got him this cute Pooh sleeper with little Pooh bear heads on the feet and I just love him in that outfit! It's the only outfit that really "fits" him right now. Normally I don't go for this cutesy stuff, but I'm a big Pooh fan, and this outfit is really preppy, don't you think? The logo has Pooh leaning over a turtle that says, "A rather small friend." Very cute. Pictures to share. The navy outfit says "I love my mommy" and is courtesy Nanny Angela. He looks fabulous in navy by the way - but spit up goes with everything, right?

Upcoming weekend - Something to look forward to - girlfriend Heather from Canada is coming to visit and help us out. I can't wait! Our first houseguest! Heather and I were Rotary Scholars in Leeds back in 1989. We hung out and traveled together and we've stayed in touch ever since - she even sang at my wedding. Heather was a preemie, too - and a twin, so she has a lot in common with our little family. It will be nice to have adult conversation during the day. And...Heather is an awesome cook. Michael will get a break and I will get something good to eat one night. We're all winners. Heather's from Edmonton but now lives in Toronto. She's going to love the weather here!

No comments: