Monday, March 24, 2008

Then and Now - March 24 - 3 month mark

Today marks Gerard being with us 3 months. That was then...

And this is now!














I can't believe it's been three months, and then again it feels like three years. Both Michael and I are getting fed up with the monitors and wires getting in the way of doing anything and everything that's normal. Before the supply is all gone, it would be a wonderful experience to actually nurse him like a normal baby. I'm not sure it's going to happen, and I'll just have to readjust my expectations. I know that eventually we'll be able to do everything else, but this one thing has got me especially bothered and feeling "less than" in many ways. Michael would like to feed and bathe him without the contraptions, and that's coming sooner than later. Patience, I know...

We had a wonderful week with Heather. It was so generous of her to come and spend so much time. She not only helped us with the baby, but cooked and filled our deep freeze with fabulous dishes! Thanks so much Auntie Heather! I can't believe someone would come all the way across the country (and another country) to help me out. That's pretty darn special. And yes...I cried several times today and tonight. We have lots and lots of new books to read and share with Gerard thanks to Heather's being in the publishing business and an excellent writer herself.

Easter 2008

Yesterday we had a little experience. I fed Gerard 80 cc (which is a lot for him) and he wanted more...so I gave him another 22 cc's. And then another 25. Big mistake. He not only spit it up, he projectile vomited ALL of it all over me, the chair, the floor, his outfit, etc. and we had quite the little drama going on. It was in his canula (which is NOT GOOD) and I was freaking out about it. I had to yank the thing out so he wouldn't drown in his own spit up literally, and Michael and I scrambled and carried on like crazy people. Meanwhile, Gerard's just looking around like this is just another day... and he was still hungry, of course. All feeding stopped for two hours and we resumed said schedule with no "seconds." Exhausting. And did I mention we have beige carpet? OK...now you can laugh. Happy Easter everyone!

No comments: