Thursday, January 31, 2008

January 31. Brain Ultrasound

Gerard Weight - 4 lbs. 14 oz.
Can you believe this guy? He loves to gain weight. He's certainly born into the right family! Here's his paparazzi shots - don't you think he's ready to do the Hollywood circuit?
















Tonight we met with one of the doctors (who worked at Tampa General) who showed us the most recent one-month brain ultrasound. To our relief, he said it's the kind of news he loves sharing. Everything looks "normal" as far as no major lesions or hemmoraging going on. He has a cyst in the right frontal lobe, but it's small (the size of a pin point) and doesn't pose any kind of threat. It was there on the first scan. Because the scan looks so good, they won't be repeating it. The doctor predicts a 160 IQ. He actually made us laugh at that. According to the doctor, his head isn't too small, and it's not too big. Like the nursery rhyme goes, it's just right!

Before meeting with the doctor, we got to change him and I got to feed him. Let's just say it's a good thing we don't have "smell-o-vision" because he was a smelly boy tonight! He's taking feedings well. No reflux with me. The doctor asked me to start twice a day feedings. That will be interesting to try to fit in another trip to the hospital with the constant snowy weather conditions. I'll try this weekend.

Here's video after we weighed him on the scale. For those of you who think he looks "big" - take a look at our hands (mine are not large) in comparison to his little body. Gerard is still smaller than our kitty Sophie (who is 7 lbs.).


Here are some other pics. I'm holding him after feeding and then he's just tucked in for the next couple of hours. Our nurse tonight was wonderful. Great shift and it was busy, but she handled it well. Gerard didn't get his bath the other night after I visited, and I wasn't happy about that, but he got a bath yesterday. That means that bath night is tomorrow. I'll try to get video tomorrow night. It's my turn!





























As for my health, I'm still battling the ear infection and fatigue. Some hearing is coming back, but it's affecting my balance. I see the doctor late Friday afternoon. My blood pressure is so good it's amazing! Tonight it is 117/70. I've reduced my meds by 75%. I imagine I'll be off the BP meds in a month or less. It will be good because those meds make feel tired all the time.

I had a wonderful lunch today, courtesy of my friend and former work colleague, Paula, who I worked with in Salt Lake before we moved to Missouri. It was my very first "lunch" outing since having the baby. Come to think of it, it was my very first outing that didn't revolve around the baby and "having" to eat. Thank you Paula for coming up to Ogden! Paula is fantastic, always knows how to make me laugh, and calls Michael "Michael Mike" - which is fun since we know way too many Mikes. She surprised me with a package from Babinski's that contained a cool cover for the car seat when little Gerard finally comes home and a warm sleeper that will make him look so handsome. Thanks again Paula! Yes, we just love the cool things at Babinski's. We will add this to all the other many wonderful, wonderful gifts we've received from friends and family. We've been overwhelmed by everyone's generosity and caring gestures. We are truly blessed and fortunate. Gerard will have a stylish wardrobe and some cool gadgets for mom and dad to enjoy(not including the breast pump).


Paula's getting ready to have her third grandchild, the first little girl grandchild.

1 comment:

Paula G said...

It was my pleasure to have lunch with you. It's always great to see with you!

You and Michael Mike our my heros for how you have handled this tiny wonderful bundle of joy. Thank you for sharing Gerard through your blog.....I love it!