Sunday, February 10, 2008

Feb. 10 - Weekend update



Feeding through the feeding tube

Gerard's gigantic nametag on his bed.

Weight 5 lb. 10 oz.
This weekend Gerard started regular feedings from a bottle when I'm not around. He's getting up to 50 cc's (@1.5 oz.) at each feeding, which seems like a lot to me for someone so small! As you can see, his weight is up and he's doing well in that department. He's back on the headbox, which he prefers. He sounds really congested, and today he had puffy eyes and he had a rash on his face and neck. The doctor will be taking a look at that. I feel so sorry for him having a rash being so little.

Last night I got to help give him a bath after feeding him, and he slept through his entire bath. That was so much fun to watch...he even slept through washing his hair. It's interesting how different nurses like doing his cares in different ways. I try to learn what I can - and it's getting easier now that he's gaining weight. He's still fragile, but at least he's heavier in my arms and doesn't feel like air.
As for me, I'm still rather exhausted and I'm certain it's the medication I'm taking. I actually napped in between feeding and pumping today - and got absolutely nothing productive done. Frustrating, but at least I got to sleep and remember being in REM sleep for a little while. It's been a while since I recall dreaming.

Michael's off in IL at Scott AFB this week. So...any of you out there who want to bug me - this is the week! I really don't want to get depressed even more because I'm alone feeling sorry for myself. I used to look forward to these times of respite, but now I find I need his company. (Don't tell him I said that) - haha. Before you wonder why now...it's because he had to come home early during Christmas because of my health crisis. He's got to make up the time to Uncle Sam. So... consider me the "needy woman" this week. Actually, I'm planning on clearing out the spare bedroom and preparing for the little guy to come home. Did you actually think I had time to get a nursery together with all the ---- going on?

Don't worry - next weekend we're getting furniture, and a car seat, and an infant carrier, and a stroller, etc. etc. etc.

Did you say more bath video coverage? These are certainly rated "G" -



No comments: