Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Feb. 19 - Lots of procedures...

Weight - 6 lbs. 5 oz.

Lots and lots of crying and upset behavior today, with understanding. He didn't get a bath tonight - only a sponge bath. We thought it might be too painful. Yet he cried and screamed with the sponge bath anyway. Poor Little G -Man.
Yesterday he needed a blood transfusion (again) because hemoglobin was low. Maybe that will perk up his color and his awake time again. Today the numbers looked better. They prepared me for the fact that he may need another transfusion within the next two months. I guess that's OK? Today I got a little queasy. When I walked in for his noon feeding, the doctor was finishing up a little procedure that happens on some baby boys...a procedure I specifically said I didn't want to be around while it was happening. I was a little mortified that there were two students observing, but hey, I'm all for education. One Weber State nursing student was very happy to share that it was her first observing this surgery! I'm sure it won't be her last. He handled it very well and didn't scream as I'd expected. When the doctor saw me, he was happy to show me and explain. Very good. It was one of those moments in time when I couldn't hear anything around me except for his little noises. I'm just glad it was me in the room and not Michael. Ouwee! Then I fed him and he ate well and went right to sleep. Sweet little boy. He was tuckered out. He didn't take much at his 2:00 feeding (only 30 ccs). He needs to eat more in the next 12 hours to prevent a setback.

Other stuff - he's getting his immunizations today. All five of them (including polio).

Possible discharge date - next Monday. No kidding! Lots to do. Lots to do to prepare.

For those of you wanting to throw me a shower. OK...I'm ready now (mentally) - call me to discuss if you're serious.

For those of you friends wanting to visit, sorry but that will have to wait a little while longer. I'm so sorry. We have been instructed to control the environment even more at home because of RSV season and bad flus going around. If you have a runny nose or cough, you have to wait a full week before even asking to visit after symptoms are gone. That includes being around people who are sneezing, runny and coughing around you. The viruses can last up to 78 hours on your clothing and in your hair. We don't want to go back to the ICU. More soon. But yes, you can bring food over any time. Any time at all! And we won't make you scrub in for that.

Upcoming: CPR class on Thursday night at 6pm for anyone wanting to learn baby CPR that might be interested in sitting for the little guy while I get a quick nap nap or shower - call me if you're interested. They host the classes every week at the NicU waiting room. He's coming home on oxygen. That's it. No way around it now, as uncomfortable as I am. Chronic lung disease. He may be on oxygen for weeks, according to the doctor...even months. No way for us to know at this time. At least I know now when he looks like he needs a transfusion. His coloring turns white (like me). Unfortunately, I think he'll get another dose of lasix this week. As you can see, his eyes are puffy again.

No comments: