Friday, February 22, 2008

February 22 - False Alarm

Weight - 6 lbs. 8 oz.
Before I begin, I'd like to say it's sure wonderful that Gerard is growing up to be such a big boy and a good eater. He's not a "fussy" baby, and everyone says what a good boy he is.
However...the boy is a lazy breather! He failed a very important "Room-Air" test. By the way - no one informed us that there was such a test and no one informed us that he failed the test two days ago when he was supposed to have passed it. We were all set to plan on a homecoming on Monday, but his nose is stuffy and he won't even breathe without his stats falling for 30 seconds unassisted today. Last night we were quite frustrated with the entire situation. Bottom line - he's not ready. After hearing nurses say that he was ready for over a week, they hadn't done the "room air" test to validate that. He probably would have been ready this weekend if they hadn't switched the head box last Saturday and let his nose completely heal before jamming the cannula back up his nose again too soon(remember my rant at that time)! I won't get into it. I ranted again at lunch with Michael as my audience today. Nothing I can do about it now. Press on.
We met with the doctor and the entire team on rounds this morning to let them know that we'd like better communication and fewer mixed signals regarding what's happening, what needs to happen, and Gerard's responses to what's happening. After all, Mom is a "worker" (that's a quote from the doctor) and needs to plan this whole thing a little better without all the false alarms. I want to spend as much time as I can with the little guy when he gets home. Besides, what daycare do you know in Ogden who will take a baby on oxygen? Obvious answer.
I'll write more when I'm in a better mood later this weekend and try to get some good photos.
Little G is very marked up from scratching his face with his sharp little nails. He looks pretty messed up right now. They're not allowed to cut his nails in the hospital. So lucky me! Another "to do" this weekend. I'll try to do it while he's sleeping (thanks to the nurse who gave me that tip).
I'm really not mad about him not coming home. I'm just frustrated with the lack of consistency of messages from the healthcare workers in the hospital.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel bad that you feel this way about the staff at this hospital, when my baby was there I had great care, and a wonderful nursing staff. I read your blog through a blog of a blog, etc. I know how you feel though, sometimes it's hard to not know when they get to come home, but that means they are just getting extra special for you guys. Good luck.

ro2b51 said...

It's OK. I just need a place to whine and write about my feelings. I think the nursing staff is wonderful and caring. No complaints about the care! It's just information and communication to me and Michael that's been a bit "off" - and I understand that as well. But I thrive on consistency. I know things will get better soon enough. It's just been a stressful and emotionally trying time. One never plans on one's baby to be in the NICU, right? Thanks for your comment.