Wednesday, February 27, 2008

February 27 - Graduation Day from the NICU!

all tucked in to go home in our flashy new car seat!
Dr. Clark could be a photographer. Thanks Dr. Clark!
Getting the final things taken down off the wall at Gerard's station.

last time we eat in the NICU

I'm so ready to go home mom...would you please put me in my graduation outfit?
our station marker - we had B and G until a couple of weeks ago. F is for the future!
I'm not sure I can write anything to truly express how I feel today. He's home. Finally. And I'll just have to write more tomorrow about it. Things are good. Today was a very, very good day.

We got to see Melanie, the wonderful respiratory therapist who was so kind to me when I was so sick back in January. That was nice. Thanks again Melanie, for being super wonderful to both me and Gerard. We also had the doctor (Clark) who first saw Gerard after he was born sign him out and say goodbye. I cried a little. Can you believe I cried? He told me he'd take him. He's a keeper. I'm a bigger baby than Gerard. You'd think I'd be jumping for joy instead of crying. It's just been an emotionally and physically draining experience, and he and all the other doctors and nurses helped us get to this day. I feel so grateful to all the people who helped little Gerard thrive in the NICU. Let's hope I can do the same at home for him and help him get bigger and stronger with few complications.
Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.
Of course, today wouldn't be complete without a photo of us at home, now would it? I like this picture except for the painter's blue tape that shows how I'm a bad mom - still haven't finished painting the room. Oh well. When naps get longer I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.
If any of you NICU folks take a look at this, Gerard is sending over two, yes two large cakes tomorrow (one for the night shift and one for the day shift) - It is truly time to celebrate!!! For those of you that I miss - we'll keep ya'll updated on occasion. Let's hope he's not colicky (sp) and I still have time to blog every now and again.

OK, I admit it, I tortured the baby with American Idol tonight and he seemed to kind of like it when I sang along!

1 comment:

Paula G said...

Congratulations on your graduation Gerard!

Michael Mike & Rebecca - I can't believe he's finally home. That's fantastic! What a darling family you guys are...sleep deprived I'm sure...but darling. Whatever you're doing, keep up the good work. Paula